The day of your hair transplant procedure is finally here, but what is the hair transplant like? To get to this point you have already gone through a process in which you sought the opinion of a expert doctor and he diagnosed you with a problem of alopecia, or baldness. He told you about the available treatment options and together they agreed that transplantation is your best option.
Many times patients can be nervous, because they do not know what they are going to face. The most frequent concerns of patients are usually:
- What will the procedure be like? Will it be painful?, Do I have to come accompanied?
- How long is the procedure going to last? How am I going to get out of the procedure?
- How will the result be, what expectations should I have? When will my new hair come out?
- Will my transplanted hair be permanent?, What guarantees do I have that the procedure works?
In this post, we will answer those questions.
It is recommended that during the query Ask your doctor all the doubts you have, so that when the day of the hair graft procedure arrives, you can be calm. We recommend that you arrive with comfortable clothes, so you are not uncomfortable during surgery. It is highly recommended that you arrive accompanied by a family member or friend so that I can support you before and after the procedure.
When you arrive at the place where the procedure will be done, you will be given a clinic history that you will have to fill in with all the information requested. It is important that you provide the appropriate information, as it is extremely useful for your doctor and his assistants. In it, you will be asked if you or your family members have any illness, if you are allergic to anything, if you take any medication and some important habits that your doctor should know.
You will also be given a informed consent. This document gives a brief description of how the procedure will be carried out. Possible complications during and after the procedure are also described. It is important that you read it calmly and ask in case you have any questions.
Once you have filled out the documents that were given to you, the pre-procedure preparations will begin. Tea they will take your vital signs such as temperature, blood pressure, respiratory rate, etc. Sometimes it will be necessary to take a blood sample. If the hair is removed from the donor area by the FUE technique, it will be necessary lower your hair as short as possible so that the doctor can perform the extraction of the follicles properly.
During the procedure.
The surgery is performed with Anesthesia local, Therefore, only the areas that are going to be worked are asleep and you will remain conscious most of the time. Once the area to be worked is anesthetized, no pain is felt during the hair graft procedure. The duration of the procedure will depend a lot on the number of follicles to be implanted, so it can last from 3 to 10 hours.
What is the procedure like on the day of your hair transplant?
The procedure is carried out in stages:
- Follicle extraction: At this stage, the follicles are removed from the donor area one by one until the follicles necessary for the implant are obtained. This part lasts approximately 40 minutes to 3 hours depending on the number of follicles to be removed. Once the extraction is completed, the next stage of the procedure is passed.
- Preparation and design of the implant area: During this stage, the doctor will explain how the implants will be distributed, which areas will be covered, your opinion will be taken into account for the implant. It is very important that you agree with what the doctor will tell you in this part, so that you are satisfied with the results. Remember that implanted hair is permanent, so you must be sure that you understand everything the doctor says. If you have doubts, ask as many times as necessary to make it clear what they are explaining to you.
- Placement in the grafts: At this stage the implantation of the follicles one by one. The duration of this stage also depends on the number of follicles to be implanted. On average it lasts from 1 to 4 hours. This is the longest stage of the procedure and the most crucial, since the way the hair is implanted must be carefully taken so that the result is very natural.
Because the procedure can be very long, sedative medication is sometimes given to keep you calm during the procedure and to move as little as possible. You may fall asleep during surgery. So it is very likely that you do not realize the time that passes. If at any time you feel pain or discomfort it is very important that you mention it.
After the procedure.
Once I know finished the hair graft procedure You are likely to feel a bit dizzy or sleepy, due to the medications you were given. Immediately after the procedure, you will leave with a special bandage in the extraction area, the implantation area will be full of scabs and you may look very swollenso don't panic. You will not feel pain after the procedureAlthough you may feel itching or a strange sensation in the areas that were worked, like numbness, or as if you had something in your head. Those feelings will fade over time.
After the procedure, your doctor will explain in detail all the care you must have for your result to be as expected. It is important that you pay attention to this information. Because you may be dizzy or sleepy after the procedure, it is highly recommended that a family member or friend be with you so they listen to the doctor's explanation and can later support you with care.
Transplanted hair takes about a year on leaving after the procedure. Although the exact time depends on each person, on average an evident result begins to be seen approximately 6 months after the hair graft.
When the transplanted hair is taken from the proper donor area, the result is permanent. That is, this hair is not going to fall out. However, it is very important that you understand that non-transplanted hair can still be lost and how long it will take to be completely lost is very difficult to predict. Therefore, it is important that you ask your doctor, so that they recommend a maintenance treatment.
During the year that it takes to observe the final result it is very important to be patient, remember that, if the procedure is carried out properly and you follow the recommendations and care of your doctor, the result will be very satisfactory.