Repairing dry hair can be an odyssey, so you must take into account the recommendations below.
Healthy hair with a silky and shiny appearance will always be one of our most striking qualities and part of the style of our image and personality.
The hair is a protein structure that does not have as such a functional importance in our organism, however, despite its little functional relevance, it influences our aesthetic aspect which, in turn, can be linked to the psychological and emotional aspect, and therefore both in our security or self-esteem.
What causes having a hair dry?
Having dry hair is a sign that something is wrong or something is missing to keep it healthy and in a better state. This is because the sebaceous glands do not produce the necessary hair fat. Without the coverage provided by hair oil, the cuticle (usually smooth and even) becomes rough and porous. Therefore, the water that contains the hair fiber escapes through the small fissures in the fiber and in the end the hair ends up dehydrating. The base of everything is in the cuticle. When the cuticle is open, moisture penetrates more easily, thus modifying the structure of the keratin (denatured or degraded keratin) and tending to frizz and loss of shine.
All this can be due to bad habits, such as a poor diet of vitamins or the excessive use of the hairdryer, the iron or hair tongs; But also, it can be some diseases that cause dry hair.
Some symptoms that show that your hair is losing its natural hydration are the following:
- Lifeless, dull or voluminous hair.
- Lack of brightness
- Hair rough to the touch.
- Loose or very fragile mane that breaks easily.
- Split ends.
- Tangled or matted hair
Some causes of dry hair are:
- Excessive washing, use of strong soaps or alcohol
- Excessive use of dryers or dyes
- Dry air due to weather
- Menkes Kinky Hair Syndrome
- Hypoactive parathyroid (hypoparathyroidism)
- Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
- Genetic causes.
- Excessive exposure to the sun.
- Stress or excessive tiredness.
How to treat dry hair directly?
There is a wide variety of products to treat dry hair, from chemical formulas such as special shampoos, creams, among others; specially made for hair restoration with this problem, or home remedies that you can easily make or obtain yourself, such as infusions from some plants, oils, among others. The ideal is to replace silicones or chemicals with natural ingredients.
Here are some tips for treating dry hair:
- Don't wash it too often. Since your scalp does not secrete all the fat it should to provide hydration and shine. With 2 or 3 times a week it will be enough. Abusing washing, on the contrary, will make your hair even more dry and dehydrated.
- Use specific shampoos and conditioners for dry or dehydrated hair that contain ingredients such as dimethicone. To apply the conditioner it should only be on the tips, and thus, leave it to act for a few minutes before rinsing.
- During washing, gently massage your scalp with your fingers when you apply the shampoo. This is to stimulate the sebaceous glands in charge of producing the natural fat of your hair, to combat dryness.
- Before using the dryer, flat irons or tenacious, use a serum or heat protector to avoid dehydration.
- If you usually dye your hair, be sure to use non-alcohol dyes, as they cause dry hair.
- Once a week, use a deep hydration mask during washing.
- Try not to brush wet or damp hair to avoid breakage, and preferably use natural bristle brushes.
- Cut your hair, especially if you have dry or split ends. Thus, you will eliminate the most damaged part of your hair and it will appear more hydrated and luminous.
- Avoid washing your hair with too hot water in the shower, preferably that it is warm or cold.
- Protect it from sun exposure, as this can be one of the biggest causes of dry hair.
- Rinse hair after leaving the sea or pool to remove chlorine or salt.
- Use products that contain ingredients such as wheat protein, amino acids or panthenol, keratin, vitamin E, argan oil, olive oil, honey, aloe vera, among some others.
How to treat hair from within?
Basically with these processes of care to repair dry hair we mean to change or improve certain habits in daily life that benefit the body in general, but in the end end up influencing the health of our hair.
- Maintain a balanced diet, rich in vitamins and minerals. Foods like cereals, vegetables, and fruits that contain vitamins A, C, and E.
- Drink plenty of water, to maintain adequate hydration.
- Consume vitamin E and take essential fatty acids like omega 3 and 9.
You may also be interested in reading about hair graft